Trinity College Long Walk, Hartford, Conn., is a collection of historic buildings constructed in the 1800s. Jarvis and Seabury Halls, completed in 1878, and Northam Hall, completed in 1883, stand out as hallmarks of the master plan of English architect William Burges. After workers discovered that slate roofs and stonework surrounding the dormer windows needed substantial repair, the college decided on a complete restoration.
The project includes renovations and upgrades to residence hall rooms, classrooms and administrative spaces, and gut renovations to the buildings' interiors. Both buildings will be equipped with new wiring, lighting, plumbing and air conditioning, as well as new furnishings. Residence hall rooms in Jarvis Hall will be returned to their original suite-style configuration. The architect will make use of the original building plans that were discovered in the school's archives.
The buildings feature a cast-iron window design, which was popular in mid-18th-century England. The construction manager traveled to Talladega, Ala., to meet one of two known artisans capable of restoring the design. The project manager traveled to the English countryside to meet with one of the few establishments capable of replicating the original terra-cotta ridge caps lining the roof's edge.
The architect is Smith Edwards Architects (Hartford, Conn.). Consigli Construction Co., Inc., (Enfield, Conn.) is the construction manger.
Start: Summer 2007
Estimated completion: August 2008
Project area: 44,000 sq. ft. of renovations to three buildings
Cost: $32.9 million