From The Dallas Morning News: The Dallas district plans to tear down the former Oak Cliff Christian Church building for a new Adamson High School campus. The district has obtained a city demolition permit for the vacant church. A proposal for a new Adamson High, approved by voters in 2008, shows tennis courts at the site. The church building was completed in 1916, expanded in 1925 and sold in 1962 after the congregation moved.
AUGUST 2009...from The Dallas Morning News: The Dallas school district no longer plans to rebuild Adamson High School at its existing site, but will construct a new campus nearby. The existing facility was built in 1915-16 and enlarged over the years. It has foundation and other structural problems, and architects have recommended demolishing and rebuilding the school's original three-story structure, red-brick facade and auditorium/lunchroom. But Adamson alumni have argued that the structure was basically sound. They had hoped to have the school upgraded to current educational standards and wanted the original facade, the auditorium and the shell of a 1938 addition left in place and restored.
JULY 2009...from The Dallas Morning News: Alumni and others want the Dallas district to preserve much of the aging Adamson High School campus. The district's bond program includes more than $48 million to "replace" Adamson, which has has foundation and other structural problems that require ongoing repairs. Originally known as Oak Cliff High School, the building was designed by architect William B. Ittner and opened in 1916. The school has been enlarged over the years, and preservationists want the oldest parts of the facility saved. Corgan Associates, an architecture firm, has recommended taking down and reconstructing the school's original three-story building, red-brick facades and auditorium/lunchroom addition "as close to the original design as feasible." Eric Horstman, an architect with Corgan, says a reconstruction of the facade and original building would "provide the community and district with a structurally sound, historically sensitive building with a long life."